Azzano d'Asti: the village burned by Federico Barbarossa today shines in the firmament of the most fascinating places of the Asti area.
Azzano d’Asti extends along the ridges of low sandy hills south of the Tanaro river.
It covers an area of 6.43 km² and has a population of about 380 inhabitants.
It is about 7 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
The town was probably founded by the Ligurians around the 2nd century BC.
The toponym is believed to be of Roman origin.
In a document dated 905 it is found that the bishop Audace transferred the rights to the court of Azzano.
The news about Azzano becomes more frequent starting from the year 1000: the town is indicated under the dominion of Asti.
In 1387 the town was ceded by Gian Galeazzo Visconti to his daughter Valentina.
Subsequently, in 1531, the town passed under the dominion of the Savoy.
During the Fascist period, the Municipality of Azzano was aggregated with that of Rocca d'Arazzo; it returned autonomous with the birth of the Italian Republic.
Food and wine and typical products.
Here fine wines are produced such as: Barbera d'Asti, Barbera del Monferrato, Grignolino d'Asti.
To be seen.
In Azzano there was also an abbey dedicated to Saint Bartolomeo.
The Municipality of Azzano d'Asti is part, furthermore, of the Associazione Azzano d'Italia, which brings together eleven municipalities and hamlets that bear the term Azzano in their name.
The coats of arms of the municipalities and a commemorative plaque are placed at the southern entrance of Azzano d'Asti.
Finally, in Piazza Sconfienza there are three murals dedicated to truffles and tambourines, characteristic elements of Azzano.
In the village, an undocumented history has been handed down from generation to generation, but probably with a real base: "Federico Barbarossa, after having set fire to Azzano, was about to attack the nearby village of Montemarzo, with his knights about to reach the goal a few steps away, where the church of Saint Marcello is now erected in memory of the event, a furious storm put the turmoil among the horses, who disbanded and fled".
Information synthesis and/or re-elaboration was taken from the website of the Municipality of Azzano d’Asti