The grandeur of the Castle, the splendour of nature, the roots of a millenary village: Cossombrato, the ancient stronghold of Astesi.
The territory of Cossombrato, characterized by the alternation of woods and hills, offers interesting landscaped itineraries with splendid views of the Alps.
The town covers an area of 5.40 km² and has a population of about 500 inhabitants.
It is 13 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
Corsembrando or Corsembraldo is the toponym of Cossombrato in the early Middle Ages. With this name, it is remembered in the Capitular Archive Cards of Asti, in the Codex Astensis and in the chronicles of Ogerio Alfieri and Guglielmo Ventura.
The term seems to derive from Curtis Embrandi or Embraldi, the first lord in historical times, probably of Frankish origin, of the lands of Cossombrato.
The domains of Corsembrando, perhaps a branch of the Montiglio family, were considered the lords of the ancient castle that once stood where Villa San Secondo is located: towards the end of the XIII century, probably the Corsembrando used to name the two villages, located on the ridge of the same hill and within walking distance of one another between the castle of Corsembrando di Villa and that of the Pelletta of the current Cossombrato.
Wars against William VII, Marquis of Monferrato and then with his son, Giovanni, induce the Astesi to make Cossombrato a cornerstone against the Monferrato and the homines of Corsembrando, taking advantage of the war, rebel against their feudal lords, forcing them to flee in 1296 In 1304 Giacomo di Cossombrato was killed, and his castle was destroyed.
In 1320 Pelletta erected a castle, where they took refuge during the period of struggle against the Solaro. Of the imposing castle, the most important structures remain nowadays, even if they have been partly modernized in different periods.
The church of Saint Rocco dates back to 1700: according to the writings of the time, it was erected to eradicate the pestilence of the foot-and-mouth disease.
Food and wine and typical products.
Wine production is flourishing in the town.
The typical dish is the Piedmontese mixed fry.
To be seen.
Castle of Pelletta (Castello dei Pelletta) is formed by a series of volumes composed in different centuries, which have determined a strange form, difficult to grasp as a whole. The most evident part is a semi-circular body, which is supported by a round tower, which dates back to some parts in 1300.
The parish church, named after Saint Stefano, was built between the end of the sixteenth and the beginning of the seventeenth century with the contribution of Count Gerolamo Pelletta; originally had a nave and a single rectangular altar. From the area in front of the church, it is possible to enjoy a splendid panorama.
Local legend says that a series of tunnels join the structure of the castle of Cossombrato to the hill of Villa San Secondo.