Dusino San Michele

It's written “cussot”, it's read Dusino San Michele: discovering the industrial center of Asti region.


Landscape.

Dusino San Michele, northern municipality of Asti region, covers an area of 12 km² and has a population of about 1050 inhabitants.The traditionally agricultural town, with a predominance of cereal crops, has seen the zootechnical and industrial sectors affirm itself in recent decades, with particular emphasis on the field of metalworking.


History.

From Duodecimum to Dusino.

Dusino, whose first name was Duodecimum, is of Roman origin. In fact, it was born in the first century BC when the Romans built several posts on the Via Fulvia (which linked Tortona to Turin).

Duodecimum indicated the twelfth mile from Asti. In the early Middle Ages it took the name of Duxinum and was transformed into a fortress of control to defend the Via del Piano.

Near Dusino a Domus Hospitaliera was built which gave hospitality to wayfarers and pilgrims, with hotel and food store and a church dedicated to Saint Martino.

The Domus was destroyed between 1200 and 1300 when, after the construction of the new settlement of Villanova della Piana wanted by the Municipality of Asti, the inhabitants of the nearby villages were forced to move to the new village.

Entrusted to several feudal families, in the sixteenth century Dusino became part of the possessions of the Savoy and in 1605 it was placed under the dominion of the Municipality of Villanova.

San Michele, a village born around a church.

The first news of a small village of peasants born around the church of Saint Michele, near Dusino, date back to around 1150.

During the XIII century the lands of San Michele were aggregated in Valfenera and then also in San Paolo (in the XIV century). At the end of 1300 the Orlèans brought San Michele under the dominion of Villanova.

The village was in fact part of the dowry of Valentina Visconti married to the Count of Valois degli Orlèans.

The union of the two Municipalities.

In 1928 a government provision suppressed the two autonomous municipalities to give life to the Municipality of Dusino San Michele. The town hall of Dusino was enlarged with the addition of a new wing with a large semi-circular balcony under which the inhabitants of the village listened to Mussolini who on 10 June 1940 announced the entry into the war of Italy.

With the beginning of the Second World War the area of ​​Dusino was also subject to assaults. After 8 September the valleys were populated by the first partisan formations.

An important crossroads for communications both for the partisans and for the Italian and German armies, it was often the scene of clashes between the various formations.

In the 1960s the first factories arrived.

The Government offered tax concessions to companies that set up productive activities in the most rural areas of the Country, Dusino almost completely lost its agricultural vocation.

Today, in fact, most of the inhabitants are employed in factories that arise in the neighboring municipalities.


Administration.


Food and wine and typical products.

The town is characterized by the production of Barbera d'Asti DOC and Freisa d'Asti DOC wines that accompany typical dishes, including soused zucchini and gnocchi.

The close link of Dusino San Michele with the “cussot” (the zucchini in Piedmontese) finds its maximum expression in the famous Cussot DE.CO Fair scheduled for June.

The prized local zucchini is increasingly appreciated for its versatility and numerous nutritional properties.


To be seen.

There are three manors on the municipal territory: the Castle of Mola di Nomaglio, the Castle of San Michele and the Castle of the Counts Riccio di Dusino, all privately owned.

Of particular artistic value is also the Church of Saint Michele, built in 1151, which preserves in the apse traces of the Romanesque, and the Renaissance Church of Saint Rocco.

Dusino also houses one of the four bialberi in the province of Asti.


Curiosity.

The km 41 of the Strada Regionale 10, which connects Dusino San Michele to Villafranca d'Asti, is mentioned by the famous Asti artist and writer Giorgio Faletti in the song “Signor tenente”.

In the place that inspired the beautiful song by Faletti, dedicated to the police, today stands a commemorative plaque installed in 2015 by the Lions Club Villanova d'Asti.