In the land of the “Principate”: Moransengo, a diamond in the woods of Monferrato.
Moransengo lies on a long hilly ridge, typically wooded, which dominates the valley: its fertile territory is intensively cultivated with vineyards.
The town covers an area of 5.37 km² and has a population of about 200 inhabitants.
It is 37 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
Like other town in the area, the suffix -engo indicates its Germanic and more exactly Longobard origins.
Since its origins under the high lordship of Monferrato, it passed over the centuries under the rule of many families: in 1164 it was again subjected to the Marquis of Monferrato, who kept it for a long time transmitting it to its descendants.
It was subsequently subdued to some families dominating the territory of Montiglio.
The original name Muratianum Astensium, assigned to it by the Latins, was subsequently modified in Moransengum, after the settlement, around 700 AD, of a village of populations of Longobard origin.
Nothing is known of the early centuries of the Middle Ages; it is, however, certain that it was a fief of the Bishop of Vercelli.
In 1164 Federico Barbarossa confirmed the dominion of the Marquis Guglielmo il Vecchio of Monferrato.
Until the beginning of the 18th century, the history of the place will remain linked to the vicissitudes of the seigniory of Montiglio.
Food and wine and typical products.
The economy of the town has not undergone major changes and is almost exclusively agricultural.
There are some farms of Piedmontese cattle and rabbits.
Relevant to the economy are also the cutting and the commercialization of timber, both prized and for burning, and the wine growing: the wines of the territory are Freisa d'Asti, Barbera d'Asti and Barbera del Monferrato.
To be seen.
On top of a high hill stands the Castle, of ancient origin; in 1680 it was bought by the merchant Carlo Andrea Galiziano who assumed the title of Count, and his descendants remained the owner of the town for a long time.
In 1704, following the siege of French troops that sacked the town and burned the castle, the residential nucleus shifted to the current parish and the castle underwent radical changes that led it to assume the current appearance of a noble residence, today intended for private residence.
The Church of Saints Agata e Vitale, parish church, is instead placed at the entrance of the village: its construction date dates back to the eighteenth century.
Also, noteworthy is the deconsecrated Church of Saint Grato, privately owned and used to host cultural events, which preserves an apse of the Romanesque period.
The inhabitants of Moransengo, to give greater prestige to their town, are accustomed to calling it with the name Principate of Moransengo.