Pino d'Asti, the land of the “evergreen” dominated by the medieval castle.
Pino d'Asti rises to the extreme northwest of the Asti area.
The town covers an area of 4.08 km² and has a population of about 220 inhabitants.
It is about 30 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
The first traces of settlement in the territory of Pino d'Asti date back to the Neolithic period.
Subsequently, populations of Celtic and Ligurian origin settled.
Pino d'Asti was also colonized by the Romans, between 125 and 123 BC.
Between 125 and 123 BC the lands, which currently make up the municipality of Pino d'Asti, were colonized by the Romans.
Pino was among the lands included in the Monferrato Committee; in 1170 we have traces of the passage of the territory in the hands of the lords of Cocconato.
It was only in 1518 that the lords of Cocconato decided to give a part of the territory to Duke Carlo di Savoia.
The Municipality of Pino d'Asti after being aggregated – in 1929 – to Castelnuovo d'Asti (the current Castelnuovo Don Bosco) was reconstituted in 1947.
In 1929, the municipality of Pino was aggregated to Castelnuovo d'Asti (today Castelnuovo Don Bosco); in 1947 it was reconstituted.
Food and wine and typical products.
The agricultural center of Monferrato stands out for its wine production.
The wines of the territory are Freisa and Malvasia.
An occasion to taste the typical products of the territory is the Saint Carlo Festival (Sagra di San Carlo), in November.
To be seen.
Up there, on the top of a hill, the ancient castle still stands today.
Near the fortress, there is the medieval house called “della Rosina”.
In the center of the town, on the other hand, the imposing church of Madonna del Carmine stands.
Other points of interest are the town hall and the Wood and Carpenter Tools Museum (Museo del Legno e degli Strumenti da Falegname).
In 1929, the Municipality of Pino was aggregated to Castelnuovo d'Asti (today Castelnuovo Don Bosco); it was reconstituted in 1947.
Information synthesis and/or re-elaboration was taken from the website of the Municipality of Pino d'Asti