Look at the Monferrato from the fortified hill and keep two feet in two provinces: in Robella, you can.
The territory of Robella, located at the northern end of the province of Asti, is wedged between those of Turin and Alessandria, at their meeting point, between the upper and middle courses of the Stura torrent that forms the so-called Cerrina valley: the municipality includes, in addition to a series of hills (on which the main town and the main hamlet, Cortiglione, are located), there is also a stretch of valley, with the hamlets Cavallo Bianco and Cavallo Grigio, where industrial and craft activities are concentrated.
The town covers an area of 12.18 km² and has a population of about 470 inhabitants.
It is 33 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
The first attestation of the toponym, in the Rovorbella form, suggests the most probable etymology, which traces the name to the Latin term robur, ie durmast, oak.
The locality has been feuded since before the year 1000 to the Radicati di Cocconato: they held the dominion of the town for a very long period, although sometimes yielding (for example in the XIV century) the high sovereignty to the Marquises of Monferrato.
At the end of the 16th century they, submitting to the Savoy family, nevertheless retained their feudal rights and maintained them until the beginning of the nineteenth century when, as Count Eustachio Radicati died, they passed by inheritance to the Nicolis di Robilant.
Food and wine and typical products.
In Robella are produced some of the finest Piedmontese wines: Barbera d'Asti DOCG, Barbera del Monferrato DOC, Barbera del Monferrato Superiore DOCG, Freisa d'Asti DOC, Monferrato DOC and Piemonte DOC.
To be seen.
The Castle of the Counts of Robilant stands on the top of the hill where the village of Robella is located.
With irregular plan, probably of XIV century origin, it belonged to the Radicati di Robella family, and today it belongs to the Counts Cotta.
It is surrounded by a large park with elms, horse chestnuts, limes, maples, ailants, Judas trees, cherry trees, cypresses, walnuts, pines, oaks and badgers.
Privately owned, it is open to the public for guided tours by reservation.
Not far we meet the Church of Saint Giacomo Apostolo, parish church, built in 1700 and remodelled several times. Today it appears with a nineteenth-century façade and a baroque-style bell tower.
Do not miss the Church of Saint Eusebio, seventeenth-century, parish church of the hamlet of Cortiglione, the Chapel of Saint Francesco, built in the XVI century and located in the cemetery of Robella, and the chapel of Bric Macagnone standing on the exact border between the province of Asti and that of Alessandria.
From here you have a wide view over the whole Monferrato and the valley.
Robella was served by the Sant'Anna-Robella railway station, activated in 1937, located on the Chivasso-Asti line.
Traffic was permanently suspended in 2011.