Rocca d'Arazzo: the ancient fief of the Cacherano where the fury of the Spaniards destroyed the royal fortress.
The town of Rocca d'Arazzo is located in a dominant position respect to Tanaro Valley.
It can be reached by taking the state road that connects the capital with Alessandria to Castello di Annone, then the provincial road that connects the two sides of the river with a bridge.
Its name derives from the De Aracio family whose exponents, first lords of the village, played leading roles in the government of Asti municipality.
The town covers an area of 12.56 km² and has a population of about 900 inhabitants.
It is 10 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
The first testimonies of Rocca d'Arazzo date back to about the year one thousand, when it is mentioned in a document with the name of Castum Genesii (Genesio is the patron saint of the town and one of the main churches is dedicated to him).
Included in the Asti committee, it was held by the Bishop, whose possession had been confirmed by a diploma of Henry III in 1041.
In 1162, it was given in fief to the Cacherano, who held it for a long time, receiving the investiture from the Municipality of Asti (1221), by Gian Visconti (1379), by the Duchess Bona (1480).
Food and wine and typical products.
In the economy of Rocca d'Arazzo the wine production has a consistent space, in particular that of the Barbera vine.
An opportunity to taste the wine prince of the territory, paired with Piedmontese agnolotti, is offered by the Festival of Agnolotto and Barbera (Sagra dell'Agnolotto e del Barbera).
To be seen.
Nearby we find the parish church dedicated to Saints Genesio e Stefano, with a curved terracotta façade, built in 1752 on the foundations of a previous structure.
At the edge of the Via Maestra and at the southern end of the village we find the Church of Saints Stefano e Libera, whose origins date back to the year one thousand.
The Castle of Rocca d'Arazzo was a royal fortress of the duchy under the rule of Gian Galeazzo Visconti (1392).
It was destroyed in 1644 during the French-Spanish war; only a few remains of the walls remain to us.