Scurzolengo

Scurzolengo, where the medieval castle "embraces" the church of Saint Lorenzo.


Landscape.

Scurzolengo, located about ten kilometers from Asti, rises on the ridge of the hill between Portacomaro and Castagnole Monferrato.

The landscape reproduces the typical profiles of the Monferrato vegetation, an endless succession of fields and vineyards.

Among the buildings of historical and artistic interest are the 15th century castle, which presents its imposing structure at the end of the square, and the eighteenth-century parish church of Saint Lorenzo.

The town covers an area of 5.34 km² and has a population of about 530 inhabitants.

It is 15 km from Asti, the provincial capital.


History.

The origins of Scurzolengo probably date back to the Lombard period.

The first documents that speak of the village are from the 10th century, when the place is mentioned as Scrizelengo or Scricelengo.

The current name, Scurzolengo, dates back to the twelfth century and the suffix -engo would attest its Germanic origin.

In the medieval period, Scurzolengo belonged to Asti; in the thirteenth century it became a municipality, although still under the dependence of the current provincial capital.


Administration.


Food and wine and typical products.

The territory is widely cultivated with vineyards: the main wines are Grignolino and Ruchè.

Typical dish is the Piedmontese mixed fry.


To be seen.

The elegant parish church dedicated to Saint Lorenzo has very ancient origins: its current appearance is due to expansion works, carried out in the nineteenth century, of a building of 1600.

Behind the church, almost to "protect" it, we find the mighty Castle of medieval origins (the first news dates back to 986 AD), currently divided between several private owners.

Worthy of note are also the Chapel of Saint Defendente, of seventeenth-century origin, private tomb of the Fenocchio family, the Chapel of Saint Giuseppe, circular, that of Saint Pietro Martire, rebuilt the first time in 1583 and later in 1867, and the octagonal chapel dedicated to Saint Rocco (1630), protector of the sick with plague.


Curiosity.

In Scurzolengo Primo Nebiolo was born, sports director and president of the IAAF (World Athletics Federation) from 1981 until his death, which arrived in 1999.