All the charm of Tonengo, the preferred destination for hikers.
Tonengo is located north-west of Asti. From the hilly group of Tonengo, Moransengo, and Aramengo some of the most important watercourses of the Monferrato are born: Stura, Versa and Triversa.
The landscape is marked by the evocative succession of hills covered by trees, fields, fields, and vineyards.
The subsoil is rich in fossils, visible to hikers if you go through the narrow streets carved into the tuff.
Town covers an area of 5,60 km² and has a population of about 250 inhabitants.
It is 38 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
The presence of the suffix - engo suggests a Germanic origin. As far as the first part of the name is concerned, a person's name is assumed, Toto or Totus.
During the Middle Ages, the toponym underwent various transformations: Tunengh, Toonengo, Tonencho, Tohomengo, Tornengo.
Tonengo can boast ancient origins: according to some scholars it may have been founded by the Cimbri.
It is located on the ancient Roman road that connected Asti to Industria.
In 770, it was a town of a certain importance, which Charlemagne gave as a feud to Aimone Radicati, Count of Cocconato.
Later Tonengo became part of the orbit of the Marquisate of Monferrato, and that in 1292 there was news of a bloody clash of arms by the Astesi, who besieged Albugnano, and who defeated the troops of the Marquis of Monferrato at Tonengo.
In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, it belonged to the lords of Gattinara and Settimo.
With the Cherasco treaty of 1691, Tonengo became part of the Duchy of Savoy.
An interesting document on the history of Tonengo is the description made at the beginning of the 1800s by Gian Secondo De Canis.
Food and wine and typical products.
Local delicacies include renowned cold cuts, apple and hazelnut pies.
To be seen.
The parish church of the Immacolata Concezione is located in the center of the town.
It has a simple facade; at its side stands an imposing bell tower, surmounted by an onion spire.
The bell tower has a square plan and exposed brick walls with a bell-shaped by single windows.
Inside you can admire nineteenth-century frescoes.
In the Ottini hamlet, isolated on the top of a hill, we find instead the Church of Saint Michele.
The original layout dates back to the 12th century but the Romanesque features of the building have been preserved only partially.
It is supposed that the church was remodeled or rebuilt in the eighteenth century.
In 1928 Tonengo was annexed to the Municipality of Cocconato; only after the last world war became autonomous municipality again.