The ancient Communa or Comunia (term conserved in the dialectal voice Cmen-na), identified a territorial entity (Bosco delle Sorti) with public-community management; the evidence of this use dates back to the XIII century when the Boscum Communis included territories at mid-way of the Valle del Cervino road, west of the Boschi di Mombaruzzo and north of the Rivo del Ghisone and other localities such as Boscum Odofredi, Boscum Anglesii, Tabulata de Castagnolis, Roca Caudroni can not be located today with any security.
The testimony of the presence of the undivided wooded area called “Le Sorti” remains in the current toponymy and in particular in the territory of the Municipality of Bruno along the Rio Ghisone towards the border with the Municipality of Carentino. In the Municipality of Bruno the Bosco delle Sorti involved, still in the 18th century, a good 453 days (about 153 hectares).
The exploitation of forest resources, of which the “Book of Convents” is valuable for the draw of timber currently in Turin, has also been the subject of disputes in particular between the communities of Bruno and Mombaruzzo and those nearby, Cassine above all with which an agreement was stipulated in 1247, but also with those of Maranzana, Quaranti, Castelletto Molina, Fontanile.
These disputes ended in 1599 when an arbitration ruling established the boundaries of the lands belonging to Mombaruzzo along the left bank of the Rio Cervino.
In the figurative cadastre of 1794 important presences of cultivated chestnut trees and a vast forest significantly indicated as “place of wolves” are registered.
The area enclosed by Bosco delle Sorti enhances the natural, landscape and historical-cultural resources of a large Appennic territory, located between the towns of Alice Bel Colle, Cassine and Ricaldone (province of Alessandria), and of Bruno, Maranzana and Mombaruzzo (province of Asti).
Safeguard zone, which is home to several thickets of downy oak is a SIR, a site of regional importance.
The reason for the protection is due to the fact that it is one of the most northern areas of the Mediterranean oceanic area of Erica arborea, a plant used to make brooms and pipes.
Until the eighteenth century, the wood was managed by a collective local institution: la Partecipanza di Cassine.