The castle of Cossombrato consists of a series of volumes composed over different centuries, which have determined a strange shape, difficult to grasp as a whole.
The most evident part is a semi-circular body, which is supported by a round tower, which dates back to some parts in 1300.
Other parts of the building are referable to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Everything is very animated by protrusions and recesses, with surfaces animated by many windows, even asymmetrical, derived from the various alterations.
Built on two levels to adapt it to the land, the castle includes the eighteenth-century part, a rural part as well as a small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows.
The dungeons contain large water tanks.
Local legend has it that a series of tunnels join the structure of the castle of Cossombrato to the hill of Villa San Secondo.
All around the building runs the park, closed by a low wall that allows you to glimpse the many medicinal plants, carefully cultivated.
• Availability: private property | not open to visitors.
Unione Val Rilate
- COSSOMBRATO (castello dei Pelletta)
GAL BMA - Gruppo di Azione Locale del Basso Monferrato Astigiano
- Comune di Cossombrato (AT)