All that remains of the ancient castle, built in the 13th century, is a tower.
The building was severely damaged by the Spanish in 1639.
From the ruins the residential part, in neo-medieval style, was rebuilt in the 19th century.
Of the ancient thirteenth-century manor house - which followed the same ownership transitions as the fief - most nothing remains today.
With the Spanish seizure of power in 1639, it suffered serious and irreparable damage.
Only the ancient tower, which from the western side defended the town as an advanced sentinel, was saved from destruction.
The ruins then passed into ownership to the Marquise Maria Eleonora Cacherano Crivelli Scarampi Provano, who alienated it, between 1783 and 1787, to the lord of Bubbio Annibale Galvagno, a member of the illustrious family that since 1766 had acquired, by royal patent of enfeoffment, the fourth part of the fief for the sum of 6200 lire.
The residential part was rebuilt in neo-medieval style in the 19th century and is now an elegant, stately home, with large frescoed rooms, reception rooms and a beautiful park set above a rocky spur overhanging the river.
Source: excerpt (original text written in Italian) from the series: Comuni del Piemonte - edited by the Direzione Istituzionale dell'Assemblea Regionale.
• Availability: premises used for commercial use
Comune di Bubbio
- Cosa visitare