From the report of the first pastoral visit made by the bishop of Asti Monsignor Domenico Della Rovere in 1570 it is noted that the Bishop with his entourage was accompanied to the Church of Santa Maria dell'Assunta, located within the town in the enclosure of the castle where the parish functions took place, not only because the two parishes were distant from the concentric and therefore uncomfortable, but also because they were in very bad conditions; one had the altar half destroyed and the other threatened ruin.
The Bishop ordered that they be repaired, perhaps using the material of the old bell tower of the Church of S. Pietro di Cassano which had been demolished because it was unsafe; he also established that the fruits of the two benefits were seized until the restorations were completed, at the expense of which the community also had to contribute.
In 1578 the two parishes were grouped in the Vicariate of Castagnole Monferrato after the synod of that year.
In the pastoral visit of Monsignor Angelo Peruzio, apostolic delegate, in 1585 the two Churches were always found in the same sad conditions; in them, it was no longer celebrated, and they were kept closed.
The visit of the Bishop of Asti Monsignor Francesco Panigarola in 1588 found the situation unchanged and given the poor state of the Church of S. Pietro di Lissano established that, if it was not possible to restore it, it should be demolished, replacing it with a chapel under the same title.
In the pastoral visit of 1619 the bishop of Asti Monsignor Isidoro Pentorio still found the two churches still in a bad state. The parish priest of S. Pietro di Lissano was Don Bernardo Forno.
In 1627 Monsignor Ottavio Broglia found that while the Church of S. Pietro di Cassano had in the meantime been refurbished, the other was still dilapidated and ruinous; the Bishop repeated the order to demolish it, replacing it with a chapel, which was done a few years later.
After the request of the archpriest Don Giovanni Tommaso De Rolandis on March 13, 1706, the two parishes were united into one under the title of San Pietro di Cassano and Lissano, and the Church of Santa Maria Assunta was their seat; the new parish had 950 faithful.
From the date of the unification of the Parishes, the Church of Santa Maria Assunta becomes the effective and only Parish of the capital; the two old churches of S. Pietro di Cassano and S. Pietro di Lissano are henceforth mentioned only as rural chapels in which they occasionally celebrated for the dead and after 1730 they are no longer named, a clear sign that they had gone destroyed.
The Church of Santa Maria dell'Assunta was actually for many years the only one regularly used for functions; the building had three naves and the relics of S. Bartolomeo apostolo, S. Stefano and S. Crispino were kept in it. There was a large tomb there to lay the corpses, because despite the Bishop's prohibition, only the bones were buried in the Cemetery when they were cleared of the tomb; annexed to the church rose the bell tower with three bells.
In the pastoral visit of Monsignor Innocenzo Milliavacca in 1710, the Church of Santa Maria Assunta was found to be a bit old, dark and damp and therefore had to be refurbished; it was found, however, that it was well furnished with rich vestments.
Around 1730 this church was enlarged and improved behind the main altar to obtain more light and ventilation, but the population expressed the desire to have a new church.
In 1746 the bell tower of the church was built.
In 1766, it was rebuilt from the foundations, in Baroque style, apparently based on a design by the architect Benedetto Alfieri, with only the parishioners' donations.
In 1804 the church was further improved and then rededicated by the bishop of Asti Monsignor Pietro Giuseppe Arborio Gattinara da Vercelli
In 1817 with the bull 'Beati Petri', Pope Pius VII assigned 106 parishes divided into 25 vicariates to the diocese of Asti; Castell'Alfero is included in the vicariate of Corsione.
On his visit in 1836, Monsignor Amatore Lobetti found the parish of excellent structure and in excellent condition; this pastoral visit was the first that a bishop had undertaken after many years; the visits had had to be suspended first because of the wars and then because of the spread of cholera, which he had raged in 1832 both in the city of Turin and in his province.
For more information: https://www.beweb.chiesacattolica.it/