Beautiful 18th century church.
It overlooks one of the most beautiful squares in Piedmont thanks to the majestic three-story staircase, also in Baroque style, recalling the design of the famous Piazza di Spagna in Rome.
Until 1648 the noble church of Montalero, with the title of Maria Assunta. Donated to the parishioners, it was accepted by them to replace the ancient parish church of S. Maria, far and difficult to reach through the impassable streets.
The decree of the transfer is from the Bishop of Casale Monsignor Scipione Agnelli, and the act was drawn up in the castle in the presence of the notary Giovanni Battista Cerruti, Secretary of the Bishop's Curia, witness the canonicals Torquato Mola and Lorenzo Corzino, 11 May 1648, parish church was dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary.
In the ancient S. Maria, until 1950 the population buried its dead in the surrounding cemetery; never subjected to feudalism, free of competition say the archive papers. The current church was built by the Montalero around 1600; their tomb, under the floor of the central nave, bears the date of 1609.
It was enlarged maintaining the architectural style and partly also the decorative one: the internal cornice bears the golden coat of arms of the donors, the two-headed eagle.
Overall it is pretty, in a balanced Baroque style, and has preserved the old vault paintings with gold underlining. In the last sixty years the baptistery has been replaced, the altar of the Madonna del Carmine and the altarpiece of the altar, leaving intact the antependium, a fine work in stucco. It required costly work to ensure stability.
Thirty rectors, parish priests and spiritual treasurers succeeded each other from the archive, but the voices and interventions of the castle chaplains were noted before 1648. Among the remarkable works: a painting by San Gregorio, others by S. Elmidio, by Rocco, of S. Bovone; there is also a beautiful Virgin Mary with Child and Saints.