It was the seat of the Company of the Disciples of the Most Holy Annunciation
This church was called SS. Annunziata, certainly before the year 1618.
The office is held on March 25, but the solemn feast falls on the first Sunday in May.
The Company of the Disciples of the Most Holy Annunciation is erected in this church, as can be seen from the licenses of December 14, 1579.
It is joined by the Company of Sisters, known as the Humiliated, under the title of St. Anne, erected in 1713.
The church of the Confraternity is in the Renaissance style, inspired by the beauties of antiquity. It has the oval shape with a large vaulted and very high dome.
The interior walls are painted with figures and ornaments, Baroque style. There are two tribunes or little choirs, one above the sacristy and a room for meetings of the Company Council; the other on the opposite side serves as a site for the wardrobes where the sacred furnishings are stored, some of gold brocade.
The orchestra is carved in wood, with statues of angels in the floral Baroque style. The choir is very large, square in shape, with stalls and kneelers for the officiating.
The high altar and the balustrade are in polychrome marble.
The icon of the Most Holy Annunciation stands out in the choir.
In addition to the main altar, there are two side altars, namely the altar of the Innocents and that of St. Anne. There are precious paintings, painted on canvases, with antique and valuable frames.
In 1935, during the repairs to the choir icon, these words were found, painted on canvas, in Latin: “D. O. M. / Beato Angelo a Clavasio / Con fraternitatis hujus / Instructori / Beatis fastis adiecto / Gratulates / Confratus Poenites oppidi Villanove. / Dio - Ottimo - Massimo / Beato Angelo da Chivasso / Fondatore della Confraternita / In occasione delle feste celebrative / In onore di questo Beato / Quando fu elevato ai fasti della santità / I Confratelli disciplinanti di Villanova”.
This inscription is meant to remind us that the disciplining confreres of Villanova, with a grateful heart, have placed a painting representing Blessed Angelo of Chivasso, founder of the Confraternity, above the Icon, on the occasion of the festivities celebrated in honor of this Blessed One, when he was elevated to the splendor of holiness.
Above the icon, there is still this canvas that represents the Blessed Angelo, a Franciscan Father, having in his hands the book «Summa Angelica».
Comune di Villanova d'Asti
- Chiesa della Confraternita della SS. Annunziata
- Testimonianze d'arte
GAL BMA - Gruppo di Azione Locale del Basso Monferrato Astigiano
- Comune di Villanova d’Asti (AT)