Parish church, was destroyed by the Spaniards in 1636.
It is listed as a parish church of Mons Altus in 1041.
It underwent restoration work in 1997.
The church of Montaldo, as expressly indicated in the diploma of 26 January 1041 with which King Henry III confirmed to the bishop of Asti all previous donations, is still called parish church of Mons Altus, but then, both as a parish church and as a parish the troubles in which our castle incurred.
This was in 1142 and 1183 of the town of Asti, in 1184 of Monferrato, in 1190 of the Incisa, in 1339 of the Scarampi, in 1348 of Alessandria, in 1381 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, in 1575 of the Savoy, but our church always belonged and only to the bishop of Asti. On 24 August 1636 our church was occupied, stripped and burned by the Spaniards.
A date clearly visible, engraved on marble, on the pediment of the facade, indicated that as early as 1640 the inhabitants of Montaldo Scarampi had restored it.
As the attached document attests, our church, located in the center of the town, was small in size and consisted of only the part which, at present, is still in Baroque style. It had a large central nave and two smaller ones on the sides and, at the bottom, a modest altar. So it remained for two and a half centuries.
The French Revolution came, the Napoleonic military enterprises followed with the many despoilings, the restoration returned and our church, increasingly neglected, was reduced in such conditions that the canon Don Binelli, parish priest of Montaldo, felt the duty to appoint an extraordinary commission whose purpose was to bring our parish church back to full efficiency.
Becoming insufficient, due to the increased population of inhabitants of Montaldo, it was enlarged with the extension of the part where now there are the altar and the choir.
The staircase from the apse to Piazza G. Battista Garelli was also built and with this a new bell tower (1864). In front of the entrance door he had a compass built in 1868 (600 lire) and he placed the current organ on it (Lire 3418.45). In 1868, when the canon don Binelli left our parish, this possessed a benefit of 1650 ares in full efficiency, with a farmhouse (a cascina dla gesa) of four rooms, a stable in porches in excellent condition. Don Chiappone (1869-1933) came after Don Binelli, who completely neglected the parochial benefit and reduced it to almost the gerbid state.
When, in 1893, he submitted a financial request to the municipality to renovate both the rectory and the church, the City Council rejected it unanimously, citing the lack of funds from the municipality and also the motivation that the parish benefit of 1650 are well governed, could give sufficient income to meet all the needs of our parish. Don Chiappone was succeeded by Don Migliasso, an excellent priest and a good administrator, who, despite having sold a large part of the benefit, was able to restructure the parsonage and, in 1942, paint the church and adorn it with beautiful images of saints.
In 1956 the current concrete bell tower (designer surveyor Boggero) was built by the Municipality (Mayor Agnisetta). The parish priest don Luigi Prato in 1969 gave a new façade to the church, inserting the mosaic of the Annunciation.
In 1970, on the occasion of the entry of the new parish priest, Fr Agostino Ferrero, the parsonage was renovated. When he entered, in 1981, Don Francesco Chiesa, the castles of the bells were renewed, the old cracked bell was repaired, two new bells were purchased, in order to obtain the entire musical scale, replaced the bell tower clock, implanted a new clock in the sacristy programmer to automate the entire bell complex (cost 10,000,000 lire).
In 1988 the roof of the church was completely redone (cost 40.200.000 lire), but from a subsequent examination it turned out that several works had to be redone. The electrical system was also renewed and at the same time replaced the old church lighting system. After years of neglect and not negligence, our church was truly in a deplorable state.
The beautiful painting and the various figures made by Don Migliasso in 1942 were blurred by the humidity, the plaster was falling, the floor, for the infiltration of water coming from the square GB Binello, was endorsed, the stuccos, lost the gilding, they were no longer an embellishment. A decided major restoration was needed.
Don Giovanni Conti promptly intervened in 1996.