Parish church was built around 1450.
It stands in a panoramic position.
Built around 1450, subsequently restructured in the 17th, 18th, and 20th centuries.
When the Chapter of Vezzolano, in 1226, invested the Marquis of Monferrato of the Castle of Albugnano, he reserved a site to build a church next to a fortress, we can believe that San Giacomo was built around 1450, that is after the destruction of the fortress, which took place in 1401.
In fact, in it, we find the characters of the late Romanesque and in the acute sixth of the central arches and in the raising of the walls on the arches for the shutter of the vault, albeit on the ceiling.
However, the eye does not easily orientate towards reality, because the Church also bears strong characters of the primitive Romanesque, that is basilica plan, composed of a rectangle divided by two rows of columns into three naves of equal spans; the central arches on columns surmounted by a collar and a simple abacus; the side arches instead in the full center on cubiform capitals, with prominent vaults; a single central vaulted apse, without transverse nave and bell tower.
Since all the external walls have been demolished and the façade was redone, we no longer have any clues about the windows and the shape of the apse; we only know that the roof was two-pitched on each side and that a small window, in the center and with little opening, was at the head of the lateral ships.
The old church internally measures, not including the apse, 16.30 by 10.20 meters; the central ship is 4.10 meters wide and the lateral ones 2.20 meters, excluding the columns.
For more information: