This is the oldest church in Valfenera. Its primitive construction dates back to very remote times. Around it stood before 1400 the inhabited center of the village, the so-called “Villa”. It turns out that on 22 December 1329 the cleric Antonio Isnardi of the Lords of the place was appointed for the benefit of the church of S. Pietro in the “Villa” of Valfenera.
Figure on the list of the Astesi churches of 1345 with an income of lire 18. On 5 January 1485 the Rector was appointed by the Bishop of Asti to the “parish church of S. Pietro”, which confirms that until the end of the XV century it the religious life of the village.
In the list of churches mentioned in the Diocesan Synod of Saluzzo in 1516 mention is made of the “Parish Church of S. Pietro de 'Sempi” in Valfenera and the rector of the new “parish church of S. Bartolomeo” Teodoro De Rotariis, where the old parish had been united.
The state of the church underwent numerous transformations and reconstructions over the centuries, which were constantly resolved in a diminution of its spiritual and structural importance.
The current chapel was built in 1836 on the area of the preexisting church “quadrat, oblong, ancient”. For its erection, some material of the ancient church was used.
Around the church there was an ancient cemetery, the first of which is mentioned. According to statements by the Provost Quail at the end of the 1800s, following works to clear the land adjacent to the church, construction remains were exposed in an evident form of apse and numerous remains of human skeletons were found. The image on the side shows the hill that was used as a cemetery.
Of the ancient church there was a large crucifix now placed in the little choir next to the main altar of the parish church.
The church was repaired in 1930. Mass is celebrated on August 1st of every year on the occasion of S. Pietro in Vincoli.
An ancient tradition wanted the pilgrims to go to the church of St. Pietro to invoke the gift of rain whenever droughts threatened to jeopardize the crops of the countryside.
It stands in a panoramic position.