The church was built in 1701.
It is today deconsecrated and used as a theater.
The Church of the Disciplinants (Battuti Neri) is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist.
Built in 1701 on the site of a pre-existing house of worship, recorded as early as 1607, it is composed of an octagonal central hall of considerable height, an elegant pronaos with simple archway, and two rooms once used as sacristy and chapel (S. Anna).
From the first half of the nineteenth century stands the bell tower in bricks, detached from the rest of the building.
After a radical restoration carried out since 1983, the church has been used as a municipal theater.
On Via S. Rocco, which starts behind St. John, about 400 meters to the southwest, we find the homonym Chapel, built at the beginning of the 17th century to implore heavenly protection from the scourge of the plague.
It was restored in 1967.
GAL BMA - Gruppo di Azione Locale del Basso Monferrato Astigiano
- Comune di Villafranca d’Asti (AT)