• State: Italy
• Region: Piedmont
• Province: Asti
• Coordinates: Lat. 44° 45' 10'' N | Long. 8° 25' 16'' E
• Altitude: 276 meters above sea level
• Surface area: 8.13 km²
• Neighboring municipalities: Alice Bel Colle (province of Alessandria), Castel Boglione, Castel Rocchero, Castelletto Molina, Mombaruzzo, Nizza Monferrato, Quaranti
• Postcode: 14044
• Dialing code: 0141
• ISTAT Code: 005054
• Land registry code: D678
• Seismic classification: zone 4 (very low seismicity)
• Climate classification: zone E, 2714 heating degree days
• Name of inhabitants: fontanilesi
• Distance from Asti: 39 km
Fontanile, from Fontinali or Fontanilis, “a land rich in springs”: it is the same name that indicates the main characteristic of the territory, once rich in the spring waters that fed the Cervino stream and that actually formed a lake in the Valle del Robiano, beyond that some swampy areas.
The landscape consists of clayey hilly systems between Belbo and Bormida, domination of the Barbera vine, which takes advantage of good exposures.
The town stands on the ridge of a narrow hill, dominated by the imposing bulk of the parish church of S. Giovanni Battista.