• State: Italy
• Region: Piedmont
• Province: Asti
• Coordinates: Lat. 45° 04′ 43′′ N | Long. 7° 58′ 20′′ E
• Altitude: 549 meters above sea level
• Surface area: 9,54 km²
• Neighboring municipalities: Aramengo, Berzano di San Pietro, Castelnuovo Don Bosco, Moncucco Torinese, Passerano Marmorito, Pino d'Asti
• Postcode: 14020
• Dialing code: 011
• ISTAT code: 005002
• Land registry code: A173
• Seismic classification: zone 4 (very low seismicity)
• Climatic classification: zone E, 2943 heating degree days
• Name of inhabitants: albugnanesi
• Patron saint: Natività della Beata Vergine Maria | September 8th
• Distance from Asti: 36 km
The hills of Albugnano are rich in fossils that farmers often find during plowing.
Following archaeological findings, it appears that these lands were already inhabited in Roman times, perhaps by the patricians of that great empire, inhabitants of the Augusta Taurinorum, who had their villas on these hills.
The town was dominated by the Marquis of Monferrato who surrounded it by walls, but was besieged and conquered by the Asti in 1292, and given to the monferrini the following year.
The fortifications were restored in 1320 and lasted until the sixteenth century, when they were destroyed by the French by Marshal Brissac. Today no such trace remains of such military works.
The story is intertwined with that of the Abbey of Vezzolano, almost always owner of the rights on the territory of the municipality, rights gradually passed under the aegis of feudal families starting with the lords of Brozolo in 1002.
The emblem of the village is formed by a red shield with three golden lilies, and is also present in the triptych on the altar of Vezzolano, where there is the statue of Charles VIII of France.
Red shield was the weapon of the Monferrato protectors of Vezzolano, while the three golden lilies were given as a gift by Charles VIII as recognition for the hospitality received. On his trip to Italy, Charles VIII was welcomed in Turin, Chieri and Asti where he had to stop for some months due to illness, to then continue to Pavia.
Charles VIII returned to Chieri in 1495, guest of the Solaro.
According to tradition, on this occasion he visited Vezzolano and granted the three lilies for the treatment of the canonical herbalist of Vezzolano who had healed him during his previous stay in Asti.
The sovereignty over the territory passed to the Savoy from the seventeenth century, being subdued to the Benso first, then to the Gonteri and finally to the Serra.
Later it became a fiefdom of the canons of Vezzolano until 1800, when the institution was suppressed by the Napoleonic government.
From the town hall it is possible to enjoy a splendid panorama.