• State: Italy
• Region: Piedmont
• Province: Asti
• Coordinates: Lat. 44° 52' 23'' N | Long. 8° 17' 09'' E
• Altitude: 195 meters above sea level
• Surface area: 12.56 km²
• Neighboring municipalities: Asti, Azzano d'Asti, Castello di Annone, Mombercelli, Montaldo Scarampi, Montegrosso d'Asti, Rocchetta Tanaro, Vigliano d'Asti
• Postcode: 14030
• Dialing code: 0141
• ISTAT code: 005093
• Land registry code: H392
• Seismic classification: zone 4 (very low seismicity)
• Climate classification: zone E, 2677 heating degree days
• Name of inhabitants: rocchesi
• Patron saint: S. Genesio | August 28th
• Distance from Asti: 10 km
The town of Rocca d'Arazzo is located in a dominant position respect to Tanaro Valley.
It can be reached by taking the state road that connects the capital with Alessandria to Castello di Annone, then the provincial road that connects the two sides of the river with a bridge.
Its name derives from the De Aracio family whose exponents, first lords of the village, played leading roles in the government of Asti municipality.
• Palazzo Cacherano (municipal palace)
Palazzo Cacherano is a large building built at the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries by the Cacherano counts, lords of the Rocca from 1162 to 1842, presumably on the ruins of a pre-existing building. Observe the historian Gian according to De Canis at the beginning of the 19th century: ”… the count's palace is vast and equipped with many very comfortable and well furnished flats. He is all around surrounded by gardens and avenues and has all the comforts of a holiday; among other things there is a beautiful gallery painted by the Pozzi brothers; there are some tables of the well-known Olivero skin of his bizarre "bambocciate" ... ".
On the death of the last descendant of the Cacherano d’Osasco, Countess Gabriella, the palace was sold to the Piano family by Count Cesare Lomellini, brother-in-law of Count Carlo Emanuele Cacherano.
Deeply modified over the centuries, it was donated to the Municipality in 1882 and since then, as well as being the municipal seat, it has housed schools, the Carabinieri barracks and prisons.
It is still the seat of the municipal offices, the library and the post office.