Built at the beginning of 1400, the Sanctuary was enlarged between the 17th and the 18th century with baroque style decoration.
Even before the church of Carmine was erected, on the same hill of the Valcazara there was an older sacred building which, incorporated in part or in part in the fifteenth century, today constitutes the first span of the left aisle.
The restorations carried out between 1964 and 1975, have highlighted in the part of the building corresponding to the meeting of the left aisle with the last span before the presbytery structural and figurative elements referable to the Romanic age: this is in particular the cruise and frescoes depicting the four evangelists distributed on the segments of the same.
With regard to the construction of the building, there are many often unfounded news, however, the friars of the first Carmelite nucleus certainly officiated there. In this regard, a bull has been found in which it is revealed that Father Emanuele begged the Pope to grant permission to build domum cum dormitorio, cloister, cimiterio, bell towers, bell, ortis, ortaliciis et aliis officinis ...; Father Emanuele, therefore, had not asked or the Pope had agreed to erect a church because, in fact, on that lonely hill there was already a place of worship, perhaps without a bell because the Pope was asked to build it.
An overview of the masonry structures preserved today highlights the differences existing within elements of the same kind as the keystones, the capitals and the hooves of the pylons and, outside, the numerous traces of openings then buffers that make it difficult, in the absence of documentation, to attempt to establish a chronological sequence of the works for the extension and renovation of the building
Regarding the entitlement of the church, it can be observed that in the file kept in the general archive of the Carmelite Order in Rome, it is placed under the invocation of S.M. Assumed in Heaven and attributed its construction to 1314.
This attribution, however, does not find any other evidence even if the Carmelites dedicated to the worship of the Annunciation temples raised and officiated by them. The sacred building in question is called "Carmine" already in its first appearance in the bull of 1413.
In a notarial deed dated August 28, 1595, instead, we mention a chapel of the Annunciation included in the church - convent building complex.
To this title the fresco reproduced on the rose window was also mentioned, of which we could still see faint traces when the restorations began. The fresco probably could not be saved.
A large oil painting recalling the Annunciation, now no longer present in the church as it was transferred to St. Anthony, adorned the altar of the left aisle.
It stands in a panoramic position.