From Roman outpost to a gourmet destination: Baldichieri to taste.
Baldichieri d’Asti rises in a hilly position in the north of Astigiano.
It is spread over an area of 5 km² and has a population of about 1100 inhabitants.
It is about 12 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
Baldichieri d'Asti was a Roman outpost as early as the 1st century AD.
On the site now occupied by the municipal cemetery once stood the medieval castle of Baldichieri d'Asti.
The castle and the village were destroyed in 1553 by the French, together with the castles of Tigliole and Camerino.
Food and wine and typical products.
Home to important production, industrial, artisanal and commercial sites, Baldichieri is known for the excellent quality of its meat and wines, including Barbera d'Asti and Freisa d'Asti.
The genuineness of the typical local products is enhanced in the most characteristic dishes of the area.
To be seen.
Among the buildings of greater historical and artistic value are mentioned the eighteenth-century municipal building, the parish church of Saint Secondo and the church of Saint Secondo in the Parco della Remembranza.
The decree granting the coat of arms of the town of Baldichieri d'Asti is perhaps one of the oldest still preserved in the Province of Asti.
The document is preserved in the municipal archives and is interesting for the signatures at the foot of King Vittorio Emanuele and the then head of the Government, Benito Mussolini.
Information synthesis and/or re-elaboration was taken from the website of the Municipality of Baldichieri d’Asti
Cover image source: Provincia di Asti