Montaldo Scarampi, the “roof” of the Val Tiglione, ancient fief of the Asti bankers.
Montaldo Scarampi rises on the hills of Tiglione Valley.
It covers an area of 6.63 km² and has a population of approximately 750 inhabitants
It is about 17 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
Mons Altus (later Montaldo) is mentioned in a document dated 1018.
As can be easily guessed, the toponym takes its cue from the raised position of the town.
The addition of Scarampi is linked to a historical fact: in 1339 the Marquises of Incisa della Rocchetta sold the fiefdom to the Scarampi family.
Over time the town passed under the dominion of Oddone Boverio, then to the Municipality of Asti, to the aforementioned Scarampi and under the jurisdiction of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan.
Montaldo Scarampi is home to the Comunità Collinare Val Tiglione e Dintorni.
Food and wine and typical products.
The economy of Montaldo Scarampi is mainly focused on viticulture: excellent production of DOC Piedmont and Monferrato wines (Barbera d'Asti, Barbera del Monferrato, Grignolino d'Asti, Freisa d'Asti).
Other typical products of Montaldo are artisan salami and honey.
To be seen.
The parish Church of Nostra Signora Annunziata stands in the center of the town, a few steps from the town hall.
Also, worth a visit is the Church of Saint Martino, located in a panoramic position.
Of great interest is also the Museum of Peasant Family (Museo della Famiglia Contadina), housed in the Church of San Nicolò.
The Hall of the Trophies Dr. Lelio De Nardo (Sala dei Trofei Dott. Lelio De Nardo), also jokingly called the Montaldo "safari", is set up in the municipal headquarters.
Finally, the ideal place for a selfie is the vantage point where the Ferro del Mare Padano sculpture was installed.
On June 2, 1946, the Italians were called to the polls to express themselves with the institutional referendum in favor of the Monarchy or the Republic.
Montaldo Scarampi boasted a curious primacy: it was the municipality of Val Tiglione with the greatest number of preferences for the House of Savoy.
Information synthesis and/or re-elaboration was taken from the website of the Municipality of Montaldo Scarampi
Cover image source: Provincia di Asti